WoW Dungeons Guide - All about WoW instances
World of warcraft dungeons guide
Welcome to World of Warcraft Dungeons guide. In this article you will find out why completing dungeons might be necessary for your character growth, their role in modern WoW, finding a group for completing those instances and everything else that you need to know in order to start doing dungeons. In the table of contents below you can click on the topic you are interested in to get right into it. If you are new to World of Warcraft, read the whole guide where we will explain everything step by step. Let's get right into it.
Table of content:
What are dungeons in World of Warcraft
Dungeons are closed instances created for up to 5 adventurers where they will face many enemies, including few bosses. They were designed to give players an opportunity for an early game team challenge. They are entirely built on Player vs Environment scenarios and haven't got PvP elements. Each dungeon require decent gear and cooperation from all party members for completion. Dungeon instances are the opportunity to earn better than usual gear, rare recipes and reagents needed to craft more powerful items which might be necessary for raiding later on.
Although doing instance runs might be a good idea for leveling and many players will do only them until reaching max level - it is not mandatory. Finishing each dungeon rewards you with experience, you can complete quests inside them and even farm reputation in some of them. If you want to get closer with important lore events and run through an instance with a group of other players doing this form of game activity might be just perfect for you.
Requirements for dungeons
To enter the dungeon, players need to achieve a certain level. Harder Dungeons might also require from players certain gear level. Without meeting these requirements, you won't be able to enter the dungeon and therefore complete it. Although it is not necessary most of the time you will also need a party that consists of 5 players: a tank, a healer and three damage dealers which is the standard composition. You can always respec after entering the instance, if needed, provided you're out of combat.
Dungeon entrances are scattered across Azeroth, but you won't need to find them in order to enter. By opening group finder you will be automatically assigned into 5-man group consisting of a proper team composition. If you want quick access to dungeon location group finder will be the best call. However, if you're going to try completing dungeon instance not listed in the tool, you can access them by finding entrances on the map.
Only two party members are necessary near entrance since they can summon others with "Summoning Stone'. Outside every dungeon entrance you can find big blue rock. One of the party members needs to click on other member name and then on the stone. The casting animation will begin, but summoning will not start until another player from the party clicks on the one already summoning. After finishing an instance run, you can leave by clicking dungeon icon or Hearthstone back to your Hearthstone destination.
Currently, there are four difficulties for instances which are available for players: normal, heroic, mythic and mythic+. Normal difficulty offers a standard dungeon experience. Heroic difficulty makes all monsters and bosses harder to kill but rewards players with better loot. You will also need additional gear as most of them have higher requirements than normal dungeons. Normal and Heroic dungeons can be accessed via Dungeon Finder.
When it comes to Mythic dungeons, things are a little bit different. To join one, you need to gather a group of five men into one party, set dungeon difficulty to mythic (party leader does that by right-clicking on his name) and go through the entrance. As each Mythic dungeon is notably harder than heroic and normal, a party needs to cooperate and follow specific tactics to win against bosses.
Mythic dungeons reward players with high item level gear and sometimes even mounts from particular bosses. There is no dungeon finder for this difficulty because game wants players to decide who they want in their party and who don't. If you want to find a group to do Mythic dungeon with you, open group finder and create a custom lobby in "premade groups" section. You can also check other people offers and see if one of those fits your needs. There is only one higher difficulty which is called Mythic+, which we will cover later in this guide.
Instances can be soloed. Although most of the times, this won't be an optimal thing to do since most of the classes like Warrior haven't got access to easy recovery from their tool kit. By finding the entrance and going inside on your own, you can challenge monsters inside and acquire all of the loot for yourself. Keep in mind that doing it without a team will be much slower and way harder. It should only be done on high levels to collect transmog items, mounts, and other rares that you desire. Some instances are also decent moneymakers like Razorfen Kraul or Zul'Farrak.
Tips for new players
There are some tips below that will most definitely help a new player who wants to start doing instances.
Always be prepared - Whether you are a tank, healer or dps you always need to be prepared. You are joining a party of five, so you can't just leave whenever you like to get equipment from your bank or to buy potions from Auction House. If you are joining a group of other players, always make sure that you have everything you need in your inventory. Most importantly, always keep an eye on your gear's durability. Your journey through Azeroth breaks your equipment by a small amount every step you take. It is especially true when it comes to dungeon encounters since there are a lot of enemies. If you are running instances, often you should check your gear's durability now and then.
Fulfill your role - By joining a dungeon group, you are signing to either healer, tank or DPS. For example, if you are a tank like Protection Warrior or Blood Death Knight you should always be in front of your group pulling mobs, soaking all the damage you can take, and most importantly defending other players in our party.
If you are a healer like Restoration Shaman or Holy Paladin, make sure always to keep your tank healed. Your tank is the most crucial person in the group - if he dies most likely other party members will quickly fall too - this is the reason why it is essential to keep him alive - even at the cost of others. Being a healer is a responsibility - you are the one who can save others from demise, so always keep your heals ready.
Last but not least, there are DPS players. It might seem that as a DPS player, your only role is damage dealing which is not true at all. Many new players who didn't have contact with instances before after joining a group run rampant around mobs jumping, 'dodging' attacks and trying to look cool. This usually ends up in pulling enemies and in the worst case scenario wiping whole group. If you are damage dealer like Havoc Demon Hunter, Marksmanship Hunter, Elemental Shaman, Frost Mage, Retribution Paladin, Demonology Warlock or any other always make sure to stay a few steps behind your tank. Your role is indeed damage dealing but make sure to do that from a safe distance. If this is not possible because you are melee stay away from your tank when he pulls and waits with damage dealing a second after monsters come into melee range.
Always take all the quests - First thing you do after entering an instance should always be collecting all of the quests available near the entrance. Even if you aren't paying too much attention to them, you will finish most of them on your run. Keep in mind that kills towards quest enemies are counted for all party members, so you don't have to do everything by yourself. If you have joined a group which is already far from quest NPC's you can ask them to share quests with you. Sharing a quest is very easy, so you will be able to pick them up without running back to the entrance.
Speak up - If you want to take a little break, have a word with the tank, do additional bosses, repair your gear or anything else really - don't be afraid to talk with others. Even if you need some help, people will help you solve your problems, so don't be scared to speak to them.
Stick with your team - Remember that tank is the one who pulls mobs and leads the way - others have to stay behind him so that everything will run smoothly and without unnecessary pulls. People playing tanks are usually experienced ones who know what they have to pull and what they should avoid. Don't attack groups of monsters which don't have aggro on your group because this can make tank life harder and result in your removal from the party.
Be a team player - In the dungeon you are part of the team. Always help others and share loot that you don't need. Greeting on every item will not lend you enormous profits. Keep in mind that other players also need to gear up. It also applies to being polite. Most of the players started the game to have a good time and to rest a little. Don't take it away from them. Everybody wants to have fun and other people kindness always helps in having a positive experience within the game. Remember about karmas truth. What you give is what you receive.
Manage your time - Before joining dungeon or any other instance you should always reserve your time. One run usually takes around 20 minutes but might get longer. Never join a group if you aren't prepared to stay until the end. Obviously, your team needs you and having to look for a replacement is a trouble. Also, you won't receive most of the rewards if you won't stay until the end. To finish quests and get the most out of every dungeon you have to kill the last boss.
Mythic+ is a special mode for dungeons created within World of Warcraft Legion expansion. It is a challenge mode where players face stronger enemies, special modifiers and traps, harder bosses and all of this within time limits. Basically it is a race against the clock to defeat all the bosses and certain number of smaller monsters before time runs out.
Basic concepts of Mythic +
- Time challenge - You have a specific time limit to kill all bosses and a certain number of enemies (different for every dungeon)
- Scaling difficulty levels - For completing higher-level keys within time limits, you will receive better keys which allow you to enter harder dungeons with tougher opponents and better loot.
- Special affixes - At certain Mythic+ levels dungeons will get even harder - bosses might deal more damage, monsters might have more hp, dying enemies might leave traps and so on.
- Weekly rewards - After each week players will receive rewards based on what was the best mythic+ level they completed during last week
How to begin
In order to enter Mythic+ dungeon one of the players in the party need to have Mythic Keystone. This item is rewarded after completing any Mythic dungeon from the current expansion. Mythic Keystone is assigned to a particular dungeon; for example, Mythic Keystone +2 Atal' Dazar can only be used in Atal'Dazar instance. After gathering a party of 5 players which have required item level to enter a dungeon - players need to head to the entrance and change dungeon difficulty to Mythic. There will be particular stone inside waiting for a party member that he can put his Mythic Keystone into. The player will be informed about changes in enemy strength, possible affixes and new difficulties. When he accepts new terms, the timer will count down from 10, and the challenge will begin.
Affix in terms of Mythic+ dungeons refers to a certain difficulty or obstacle added to the dungeon to make it harder for players. Affixes are different every week and are changed after weekly rewards are given. Currently, Mythic Keystone can have up to three of them which are added to the key at levels +4, +7 and +10.
Mythic +4 affixes:
- Teeming - More non-boss enemies in dungeon,
- Raging - Non-boss enemies deal +100% damage when below 30% health,
- Bolstering - When non-boss enemies die it increases nearby enemies health and damage by 20%,
- Sanguine - Upon dying enemies leave pools of ichor which heals their allies and damage players,
- Bursting - When slain enemies explode inflicting damage on players.
Mythic +7 affixes:
- Necrotic - Enemy melee attacks inflict additional damage over time and reduce healing received
- Skittish - Threat generated by Tanks is less noticed by enemies. They are more likely to attack healers and damage dealers.
- Volcanic - During combat from time to time, flames will spawn beneath players causing massive damage.
- Explosive - During combat orb of flames will appear and explode at random places around players.
- Quaking - Periodically, players will emit shockwaves that interrupt and damage allies.
- Grievous - Upon falling below 90% health players will receive damage over time which increases in time until players get healed above 90% health.
Mythic +10 affix:
This affix will vary depending on Mythic+ season. For Battle for Azeroth Season 3, it is Beguiling.
- Beguiling - Azshara's Emissaries are present throughout the dungeon.
In terms of rewards, Mythic+ acts differently than regular instances. Enemies inside Mythic+ dungeon will not drop any loot. All of the prizes will be assigned to players in a chest which appears after defeating the final boss. Additionally, players will receive high item level piece of equipment which scales depending on the highest Mythic+ Keystone completed last week - from +2 which offers level 410 equipment up to +10 that allows level 440 drops.
Complete dungeon list
Below you can find a complete dungeon list with recommended level ranges. Keep in mind that you should finish them in a party of five which you can assemble through dungeon finder that you can access in the menu. Although when you are a much higher level, you can finish them solo, it should only be done to collect certain items or farm transmogs and otherwise is pretty much always pointless.
Classic (Vanilla) WoW dungeon instances:
These are Classic instances released with the original game. They are very climatic and offer a wide variety of rewards. All of the vanilla WoW instances can be accessed through a group finder or found in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms.
- Ragefire Chasm (RFC) - level 13-18 - Orgrimmar: Cleft of Shadows
- Wailing Caverns (WC) - level 15-25 - Barrens
- The Deadmines (DM) - level 18-23 - Westfall: Moonbrook
- Shadowfang Keep (SFK) - level 22-30 - Silverpine Forest: Pinewood Village
- Blackfathom Deeps (BFD) - level 20-30 - Ashenvale: Zoran Strand
- The Stockade (Stocks) - level 22-30 - Stormwind
- Gnomeregan (Gnomer) - level 24-34 - Dun Morogh: Brewnall Village
- Razorfen Kraul (RFK) - level 29-38 - Barrens
- Scarlet Monastery (SM) - level 29-45 - Tirisfal Glades: Undercity
- Razorfen Downs (RFD) - level 41-50 - Barrens
- Uldaman (Uld) - level 35-45 - Badlands
- Zul' Farrak (ZF) - level 43-53 - Tanaris
- Maraudon (Mara) - level 45-55 - Desolace - Valley of Spears
- Temple of Atal' Hakkar (Sunken Temple or just ST) - level 54-59 - Swamp of Sorrows
- Blackrock Depths (BRD) - Level 51-59 - Searing Gorge: Blackrock Mountain
- Lower Blackrock Spire (LBRS) - Level 54-60 - Searing Gorge: Blackrock Mountain
- Dire Maul (DM) - Level 54-60 - Feralas
- Scholomance (Scholo) - Level 57-60 - Western Plaguelands
- Stratholme (Strat) - Level 57-60 - Eastern Plaguelands
The Burning Crusade (TBC) WoW dungeon instances:
The Burning Crusade instances were made to add even more variety for WoW dungeon lovers, which is why there are so many. Almost all of them are located in Outland, which can be accessed through portals in major cities like Orgrimmar and Stormwind.
- Hellfire Ramparts (Ramps) - 58-80 - Hellfire Peninsula: Hellfire Citadel
- Blood Furnace (BF) - 59-80 - Hellfire Peninsula: Hellfire Citadel
- Slave Pens (SP) - 60-80 - Zangarmarsh: Coilfang Reservoir
- Underbog (UB) - 61-80 - Zangarmarsh: Coilfang Reservoir
- Mana Tombs (MT) - 62-80 - Terokkar Forest: Auchindoun
- Auchenai Crypts (AC) - 63-80 - Terokkar Forest: Auchindoun
- Escape from Durnholde Keep (Durn) - 64-80 - Tanaris: Caverns of Time
- Sethekk Halls - 65-80 - Terokkar Forest: Auchindoun
- Shadow Labyrinth - 67-80 - Terokkar Forest: Auchindoun
- Shattered Halls - 67-80 - Hellfire Peninsula: Hellfire Citadel
- The Botanica - 67-80 - Netherstorm: Tempest Keep
- The Mechanar - 67-80 - Netherstorm: Tempest Keep
- The Steamvault - 67-80 - Zangarmarsh: Coilfang Reservoir
- Magisters' Terrace - 68-80 - Isle of Quel' Danas
- Opening of the Dark Portal - 68-80 - Tanaris: Caverns of Time
- The Arcatraz - 68-80 - Netherstorm: Tempest Keep
Wrath of the Lich King (WotLK) WoW dungeon instances:
These instances are located in the Northrend where you can get by taking Zeppelin from Orgrimmar or boat from Stormwind. Just like the continent itself most of the instances are snowy, cold themed locations dominated by Scourge and dragonkin creatures.
- Utgarde Keep -58-80 - Howling Fjord: Utgarde Keep
- The Nexus -59-80 - Borean Tundra: The Nexus
- Azjol'Nerub: Azjol'Nerub - 60-80 - Dragonblight: Azjol-Nerub
- Ahn'kahet: The Old Kingdom - 61-80 - Dragonblight: Azjol-Nerub
- Drak'Tharon Keep - 62-80 - Zul' Drak
- The Violet Hold -63-80 - Dalaran
- Gundrak - 64-80 - Zul' Drak
- Halls of Stone - 65-80 - Storm Peaks: Ulduar
- Halls of Lightning - 67-80 - Storm Peaks: Ulduar
- The Oculus - 67-80 - Borean Tundra: The Nexus
- Utgarde Pinnacle - 67-80 - Howling Fjord: Utgarde Keep
- The Culling of Stratholme - 68-80 - Tanaris: Caverns of Time
- Trial of the Champion - 68-80 - Icecrown: Crusaders' Coliseum
- Halls of Reflection - 70-80 - Icecrown: Icecrown Citadel
- Pit of Saron - 70-80 - Icecrown: Icecrown Citadel
- The Forge of Souls -70-80 - Icecrown: Icecrown Citadel
Cataclysm (Cata) WoW dungeon instances:
Unlike later expansions Cataclysm didn't add a new continent to the game. Instead, it changed already existing ones. Massive changes also created an opportunity to open previously unseen instances to the brave adventurers. Because of that entrances to Cataclysm instances are scattered around the whole Azeroth.
- Throne of the Tides - 80-90 - Abyssal Depths: Vashj'ir
- Blackrock Caverns - 80-90 - Blackrock Mountain
- The Stonecore - 81-90 - Deepholm
- The Vortex Pinnacle - 81-90 - Skywall: Uldum
- Grim Batol - 84-90 - Grim Batol: Twilight Highlands
- Halls of Origination - 84-90 - Uldum
- Lost City of the Tol' vir - 84-90 - Vir' naal River Delta: Uldum
- The Deadmines (Heroic) - 85-90 - Moonbrook: Westfall
- Shadowfang Keep (Heroic) - 85+ - Silverpine Forest
- Zul'Aman - 85+ - Ghostlands
- Zul'Gurub - 85+ - Northern Stranglethorn
- End Time - 85+ - Caverns of Time: Tanaris
- Well of Eternity - 85+ - Caverns of Time: Tanaris
- Hour of Twilight - 85+ - Caverns of Time: Tanaris
Mists of Pandaria (MoP) WoW dungeon instances:
Mists of Pandaria as the name says brings us closer to what secrets lie in the land of Pandarens. To unveil said mysteries players will need to wander to Pandaria - oriental asian styled continent controlled by hard-working Pandaren farmers, evil Sha and other factions like Klaxxi for example. Each dungeon can be accessed by group finder or found on Pandaria continent - one for every major location.
- Stormstout Brewery (SB) - 80-90 - Valley of the Four Winds
- Temple of the Jade Serpent (TJS) - 80-90 - Jade Forest
- Mogu' shan Palace (MP) - 82-90 - Vale of Eternal Blossoms
- Shado-Pan Monastery (SPM) - 82-90 - Kun-Lai Summit
- Gate of the Setting Sun (GSS) - 83-90 - Serpent's Spine: Vale of Eternal Blossoms
- Siege of Niuzao Temple (SNT) - 83-90 - Townlong Steppes
Warlords of Draenor (WoD) WoW dungeon instances:
Just like its predecessor Warlords of Draenor adds a new continent (Draenor) to WoW. Each of the instances in this expansion can be found there and also they can be accessed by group finder.
- Bloodmaul Slag Mines (BSM) - 90-100 - Frostfire Ridge
- Iron Docks (ID) -92-100 - Gorgrond
- Auchindoun (Auchi) -94-100 - Talador
- Skyreach (SR) - 97-100 - Spires of Arak
- Grimrail Depot (GD) - 100+ - Gorgrond
- Shadowmoon Burial Grounds (SBG) - 100+ - Shadowmoon Valley
- The Everbloom (Bloom) - 100+ - Everbloom Wilds: Gorgrond
- Upper Blackrock Spire (UBS) - 100+ - Blackrock Spire: Blackrock Mountain
Legion WoW dungeon instances:
Legion expansion introduced players to Mythic+ difficulty and also many new instances which were located in Broken Isles and Broken Shore.
- Eye of Azshara - 100-110 - Azsuna
- Darkheart Thicket - 100-110 - Val' sharah
- Neltharion's Lair - 100-110 - Highmountain
- Halls of Valor - 100-110 - Stormheim
- Assault on Violet Hold - 105-110 - Dalaran
- Vault of the Wardens - 110+ - Azsuna
- Black Rook Hold - 110+ - Val' sharah
- Maw of Souls - 110+ - Stormheim
- The Arcway - 110+ - Suramar
- Court of Stars - 110+ - Suramar
- Return to Karazhan - 110+ - Deadwind Pass
- Cathedral of Eternal Night - 110+ - Broken Shore
- Seat of the Triumvirate - 110+ - Mac'Aree
Battle for Azeroth (BfA) WoW dungeon instances (can be Mythic+):
- Atal' Dazar (location: Zuldazar - Horde Territory) - Mayan themed dungeon with four bosses and many routes to take on.
- Freehold - (location: Tiragarde Sound - Alliance Territory) - Pirate themed dungeon with four bosses and possible parrot mount drop from last boss encounter.
- King's Rest - (location: Zuldazar - Horde Territory) - Continuation of Atal' Dazar instance also contains four bosses and has a chance to drop another mount.
- Shrine of Storm - (location: Stormsong Valley - Alliance Territory) - Nordic themed dungeon takes place in a stormy weather. In this instance, there are also four bosses which you can fight against.
- Siege of Boralus - (location: Tiragarde Sound - Alliance Territory) - Castle themed dungeon which at first required attunement quests right now is open to every player who meet level and gear requirements.
- Temple of Sethraliss - (location: Vol' Dun - Horde Territory) - Just like other instances, it offers four bosses. This dungeon is a home to a deadly Sethraliss race which will do everything to protect their secrets.
- The MOTHERLODE!! - (location: Zuldazar - Horde Territory) - This dungeon takes place in Kezan which is tropical homeland to Goblins. Brave adventurers who can defeat the last boss will have a chance to obtain rare schematics for special mount.
- The Underrot - (location: Nazmir - Horde Territory) - Just as the dungeon names tells us Underrot has a lot to do with rotting. Enemies in this place are ugly and disgusting worms and monsters.
- Tol Dagor - (location: Tiragarde Sound - Alliance Territory) This dungeon is an old castle, a prison to many enemies waiting for possible fight with adventurers.
- Waycrest Manor - (location: Drustvar - Alliance Territory) This dungeon takes place in an old manor full of witches, magical creatures and ugly monsters. As the only Battle for Azeroth dungeon it offers five boss encounters.
Keep in mind that only instances from recent expansion are available for Mythic+, so in this case only WoW Battle for Azeroth instances are open for this mode. You can play and view previous instances in other modes.
This is the end of this WoW dungeon guide. If this article was helpful make sure to leave a comment after you sign in or reply to others. Visit us also on Discord, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Forums.
Those of you who seek knowledge about classes in World of Warcraft like Demon Hunter, Rogue, Druid, Priest, Monk, Warrior, Shaman, Hunter, Paladin, Warlock, Mage, Death Knight, and others can find specific class guides make sure to visit our blog page. You can also read there about raids, pets, core tools and others. We have texts about raid environment, edited video guides, updated addon recommendations, faction descriptions, update info and everything you might need. Have no fear that you won't find the thing you need. All of this can be found in links below.
Click here for more
You can also find there community guide, user guide, dungeon guides, latest patch notes and title that might just catch your eye. Just apply filter and find what you want to see.
If you have any questions regarding our website we are waiting for you on our live support chat 24/7 each day of the week. Just log in and leave us a message and we will reply as soon as possible. To find this chat just continue to our sites and skip to the bottom of it. After that click contact button located there.
All rights reserved. Copyright https://mmoauctions.com/ 2019